- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (8 cups)
- 2 cups dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch rounds (6 cups)
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 4 fresh bay leaves
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large, heavy pot over medium until shimmering. Add onion and peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggplants and remaining 1/4 cup oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplants are softened and beginning to brown, 8 minutes.
Add wine and tomatoes; season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add zucchini and herbs, reduce heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender and eggplants are beginning to break down, about 45 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Before serving, drizzle with oil and scatter with more basil leaves.